Diana Ema's Blog Post #1
Dear Professor Sinkoff,
I had a great time taking
part in and attending each presentation. I was a member of group 1, which
completed Chapters 1,2,3,4, and 5. Chapter 1 was about the evolving art of
public speaking, which was one of my favorite chapters because it talks about
how to become a better speaker and how to effectively connect with the
audience. Chapter 2 talked about “building your confidence.” I consider myself
to be rather confident, yet I get anxious when I have to speak Infront of a big
group of people. I liked how this chapter provided concrete examples of how to
develop speaking confidence. Chapter 3 talked about listening and how
individuals should be listening to, understanding, interpreting, evaluating,
remembering, and responding to speakers’ messages. Effective listening techniques
were also covered in Chapter 3, which I found to be incredibly helpful since it
helped me realize that, as someone who is often distracted, being ready for
distractions can really help me stay focused. Chapter 4 which was about
“developing your purpose” discussed how one will need to brainstorm for topics,
evaluate possible topics and gives examples/tips on how to paraphrase the
thesis statement. Chapter 5, which my partner and I reviewed. This chapter was truly
enjoyable to read, and every detail was perfectly described and detailed. The
main purpose of unites 5,6,7, and 8 was to provide insight into the process of
developing an audience. Together with my group, I had a great time finishing
this assignment. Everyone was incredibly friendly and helpful.
Group 2’s presentation
was very well done. Chapter 4,6,7 and 8 had been completed by Group 2. The way
Fabian dissected chapter 4 was amazing. Both his explanation and the pictures
he included were quite illustrative. He flawlessly explained each unit in his
own words, he didn’t just paraphrase the book verbatim. Chapter 6, written by
Elizabeth, was excellent. Although I believe she should have included more
images on her slides, she did a great job explaining everything. She provided an
extremely helpful list of preparation tips for researching your topic. She also
made the point which I absolutely agree with that Google is not the primary
information source. Chapter 7 Unit 1 completed by Mia, was good but I feel like
she could have added some color of photos to make he slides stand out a little
more. Her description on the chapter and examples she used were perfect. Daniel
did a great job on his slides. Chapter 8,
which was completed by Fabian was short and sweet. H explained everything
perfectly and did not take the words directly from the book. He added images
that went with what he was talking about, which was “Organizing and outlining
your speech” Steven’s summary was well-written overall. All the topics covered
in the presentation were highly important. I feel as everything that was
discussed will be useful to me in my daily life.
Group 3, Chapter 9, 10 and 11. The first
unit of Chapter 9 discussed the Primary and Recency Effects, which describe how
likely individuals are to retain information better when it presented at the
start or end of a series, respectively. Which was stated by Iver. I enjoyed how
she explained her units’ using examples from her own experience. Chapter 10
discussed “Using Language Effectively” which explained why its important to
pick the right choice of words when crafting a speech. Meaning that using
different words or phrases can change the overall message and how it is
received by the listeners. Chapter 10 Unit 4 “Spoken versus Written Language” and
Unit 5 “Audience- centered Language” was another one of my favorites. Jada
explained everything perfectly and used images that went with everything that
she was talking about. Chapter 10 Unit 6 “Guidelines for using language in your
speech” which was also explained nicely by Jade. Overall group 3 talked about
what it meant to use the correct vocabulary when it comes to talking to
audience and the type of speeches one can give. This presentation was great I learned
a little more of the specifics, not just the general topics. Chapter 11 Units 2
talked about “Understanding the Basics of Visual Design” for example text,
images and colors are used to create a clear and attractive message which I
feel like everyone used during their presentation. Overall, this group did a
great job.
Group 4, Chapters 13-17.
Shadelle did a good job explaining Chapter 14 Units 1-3. She spoke clearly for
everyone to understand. She did copy words from the book when she did her slides,
she put the information in bullet points so it can be easier for us to understand.
The chart she made for Chapter 14 Unit 4, Persuading Different Types of Audience
was very useful to me because although she explained everything, just looking
at the chart alone helped me understand what was being said in this unit. Chapter 15 was very well broken down. “Understanding
Arguments” was a very informational chapter for me. Logos, Ethos, Pathos were
introduced to me my freshman year of college, so I was a little informed about
what they meant. But after listening to Madelyn, I got a clearer understanding.
I feel like she could’ve added her own examples when explaining her chapter. She
could have talked about how Logos, Ethos, Pathos was helpful to her. Chapter 16
was another one of my favorites. In Johann slides he added color on the background
of his slides, pictures, bolded his words. That stood out to me the most. It
made me want to be more engaged on what he was talking about. Angie did an
amazing job. The tone of her voice, speed in which she was talking and the way
she was explaining everything was perfect. As she was explaining Chapter 17 “Special
Occasion and Group Presentations” I liked how she compared it to our class
presentation. She listed some great facts on how to get the audience’s attention
when giving your presentation. This group
did an excellent job!!
Comments
Post a Comment